I know everyone is waiting to get a glimpse of the newly release Disk Station Manager 3 (DSM 3.0) from Synology so keep reading as we go through the nitty gritties of this totally revamped Disk station manager installed in a DiskStation DS210J Budget-friendly 2-bay NAS server for Home and Small Business users.
Featuring a 800Mhz CPU with 128MB RAM the DS210J is ideally suited for SOHO users. The NAS sports 2 drive bays and can hold either 2 x 3.5” hard drives or 2 x 2.5” hard drives with a total hard drive capacity of 2TB each. (4TB in total).
Synology have come a long way since they first introduced their NAS systems into the market. The last review Technoyard did was on their CS407 and it’s certainly impressive the strides they have made since then in giving users the ultimate experience. The DS210J supports the usual bells and whistles Synology’s new NAS boxes support and some eye catching features include:
* RAID Volume Management
* iSCSI Target (Click here for a brief explanation of this feature)
* Server Backup
* USBCopy – You can connect the USB drive into the DS210J and backup data to and fore
* Desktop Backup
* iPhone/Mobile Access – DS audio, DS photo and DS cam are now available on Apple App Store
* iTunes Server
* DLNA Media Server
* Schedule Power On/Off
Full specifications of DS210J
File Station 3
Surveillance Station 4
Photo Station 4
Download Station 2
Audio Station 2
DLNA/UPnP Media Server
File Sharing Capability
Windows ADS Domain Integration
Supported Mobile Devices
Environment and Packaging
1. Hard drive not included.
2. Fully loaded with Seagate 1TB ST31000520AS hard drive(s) in operation; Two G.R.A.S. Type 40AE microphones, each set up at 1 meter away from the DiskStation front and rear; Background noise: 17.2 dB(A); Temperature: 23.6?; Humidity: 58.2%; More details about dB(A) value, check
3. Measured with 2 Seagate 750GB ST3750640N hard drive. The figures could vary on different environments.
4. 1 free license to install 1 IP camera. Additional licenses can be purchased to expand the license quota.
5. User can click and download the following video formats: RM, RMVB, VOB, RV30, RV40, AC3, AMR, WMA3, but not able to play it in Photo Station as compressed Flash video.
6. The music in WAV and AIF format can be streamed, but the metadata (ex: title, album) may not be indexed on the iTunes.
7. For Mac users, DS210J supports PostScript USB printers only.
8. Primary partion only.
9. The actual capacity will differ according to volume types.
11. Wireless dongles not included. Please check http://www.synology.com/ for supported wireless dongles.
Specifications are subject to change without notice.