Among the plethora of Network Attached Storage device manufactures, ASUSTOR is a relative newcomer who has been able to make decent headway in this arena. Established in 2011 and backed by the ASUS, ASUSTOR has gained a reputation as a leading innovator and provider of private cloud storage (network attached storage) and video surveillance (network video recorder) solutions. Today we’re looking at one of their entry level NAS products, the ASUSTOR AS3102T.
The ASUSTOR AS3102T is powered by the latest Intel N3050 Celeron processor. The advantage of Intel’s N3050 processor is that it allows to maintain high performance with data encryption thanks to the built in hardware encryption engine. Few years ago hardware level data encryption was a feature reserved for the high end of the market segment and it’s certainly refreshing to see these features being offered to the SOHO environments as well.
Some more interesting features of the ASUSTOR AS3102T is that it supports 4K video playback through its built-in HDMI port and the hardware transcoding engine with 2GB of RAM should offer the general home user seamless transcoding of your multimedia files without any performance hiccups.
Here are some of the highlights of the ASUSTOR AS3102T and specifications given as per the manufacturer’s website.
A Powerful and Economical NAS Featuring 4K Multimedia Playback and Hardware Encryption
- Powered by the latest Intel Celeron processors
- Local HDMI multimedia output (4K, 1080P and high-definition multi-channel audio)
- Hand screw design for toolless installation
- Stylish diamond-plate finished cover design
- Equipped with hardware transcoding engine
- CPU: Intel Celeron 1.6GHz Dual-Core (burst up to 2.08~2.48GHz) Processor
- AES-NI hardware encryption engine integrated
- Hardware acceleration engine supported format: H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC), MPEG-4 Part 2, MPEG-2, VC-1
- Memory: 2GB DDR3L (not expandable)
- HDD: 2 x SATA3 6Gb/s; 3.5″ HDD Compatibility
- Maximum Internal Raw Capacity: 20 TB (10 TB HDD X 2, Capacity may vary by RAID types)
- Expansion: USB 3.0 x 3
- Network: Gigabit Ethernet x 1
- Output: HDMI 1.4b x 1
- System Fan: 70mm x 1
- Infrared Receiver
- Power Supply Unit / Adapter: 65W x1
- Input Power Voltage: 100V to 240V AC
- Certification: FCC, CE, VCCI, BSMI, C-TICK
- Power Consumption: 13.7W (Operation);
7.47W (Disk Hibernation);
0.69W (Sleep Mode) ²
- Noise Level: 18.6dB (HDD idle)
- Operation Temperature: 0°C~40°C (32°F~104°F)
- Humidity: 5% to 95% RH
- System Automatically Enters Sleep Mode (Schedule S3)
- Auto-Standby for Both Internal and External Disks
- Auto Fan Control
- LED Night Mode
- Power Schedule: On, Off, Restart, and Sleep..
Size and Weight
- Size: 165(H) x 102(W) x 218(D) mm
- Weight: 1.17 kg / 2.58 lb
One aspect I’m sure all home users would love to see is that ASUSTOR has extended its warranty for all its product range to 3 years while most other manufactures only provide 1 or 2 years warranty at most for entry level NAS products. This is a true testament to their commitment to provide the best products and ensuring total customer satisfaction for their products. Considering the fact that you’d be running this NAS on a 24×7 basis, the extended warranty is most welcome and should be one more reason to opt for ASUSTOR products.
Time to take a closer look at the AS3102T.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. The Package in detail
- 3. Inside the ASUSTOR AS3102T
- 4. ASUSTOR AS3102T Device Configuration
- 5. ASUSTOR AS3102T ADM Software
- 6. ASUSTOR AS3102T ADM Software - Cont’d
- 7. Mobile Apps for ASUSTOR AS3102T
- 8. Test Setup and Performance
- 9. Conclusion